Networker

Re: [Networker] Order of installation/removal for license manager package?

2004-02-20 04:48:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Order of installation/removal for license manager package?
From: Philippe Michel <Philippe.Michel AT THALES-IS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:53:10 +0100
George Sinclair wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When upgrading from 6.1.1 to 6.1.4, should I remove the license manager
> package (LGTOlicm) on the primary server (Solaris)? Is this necessary?
> If so, what order?
>
> When installing, the manual says to install in following order:
>
> LGTOclnt
> LGTOdrvr
> LGTOnode
> LGTOserv
> LGTOman
> LGTOlicm
>
> I thought that packages should be removed/installed in reverse order
> respectively, the exception being the man pages which can be
> installed/removed at any point, but they say to remove all packages run:
>
> pkgrm LGTOserv LGTOnode LGTOlicm LGTOman LGTOdrvr LGTOclnt
>
> Seems that LGTOlicm should come first, not third, since they say to
> install it last. Kinda confusing here. Can anyone clear this up?

If package A depends on package B, B must be installed before A and removed
after it, but when there are more than 2 packages involved, there is not
necessarily only one possible ordering (if B and C depend on A, then B,C,A and
C,B,A are acceptable removal orderings).

pkgrm takes care of that anyway : if you try to pkgrm a package needed by
another one, it will ask for confirmation. When this happens, I cancel the
removal and retry with the list of (remaining) packages in an adequate order,
although it may not matter if you do intend to remove all the interdependent
packages anyway.