Networker

Re: [Networker] Steps to install storage node on Solaris -- need help

2004-01-28 15:20:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Steps to install storage node on Solaris -- need help
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:21:01 -0500
Thanks, Itzik! I ran that command on both our primary server and the
test Sun box that we want to test the Storagetek library on, and both
machines list the DLT designation for every DLT library we have, but
it's the Storagetek with LTO Ultrium drives that we want to run on the
test Sun box, and not the DLT, so next, I ran the command with 'grep -i
lto' and both machines support all kinds of Ultrium LTO designations. We
have Seagate drives, first generation. I see 'Seagate Ultrium LTO'
listed, so I guess we're good to go. Here's two questions:

1. Just for laughs, if for some reason the primary server did not list
the designation, would it really matter since the library is going on a
storage node and not the primary server? In other words, if it was the
case that the primary did not list it but the storage node did, would we
have to add something to the server's st.conf file, or is it instead the
case that as long as the storage node server lists the designation, you
don't have to do anything on the primary?

2. Were the st.conf file entries required in earlier releases of
Solaris? I know we had problems on our primary server with the ATL P1000
tape library DLT7000 drives back in version 2.6 of Solaris until we
added the magic number entries to st.conf, but that was way back in like
1998. We upgraded to Solaris 2.8 in 2001 so maybe we no longer need
those entries? Guess it won't hurt to leave them in.

george