Networker

[Networker] Steps to install storage node on Solaris -- need help

2004-01-28 14:09:06
Subject: [Networker] Steps to install storage node on Solaris -- need help
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:09:35 -0500
Hi,

We would like to install a temporary storage node server on a Sun box
running Solaris 2.9. This is just a test, and I want to make sure that I
have the correct steps. We're currently running NetWorker 6.1.1 Network
edition on our primary server (Sun box running Solaris 2.8) and one
storage node on a Linux RedHat 7.3 box also running NetWorker storage
node 6.1.1. Basically, we'd like to move the Storagetek L80 (4 LTO
generation 1 drives) from the Linux box over to this Sun to test it
there. The ATL P1000 SDLT library would remain on the Linux box. Because
we do not want the storage node to be at a lower release than the
primary server, we were thinking to just slap 6.1.1 on there, too, but I
do see that Solaris 9 is not "officially" supported prior to 6.1.2, at
least according to the 2088 Media Kit info for 6.1.1 and 6.1.2
respectively, but assuming we can still do it, I wanted to see if I have
the steps correct, or if there's something I've overlooked. I did read
the installation guide for 6.1:

1. Install temporary 45-Day enabler code for Storage Node for Unix on
primary server
2. Add root@sunhost to Administrator list on primary server.
3. Delete Storagetek jukebox via nwadmin
(rd=storage_node_server:STK_L80), but leave other SDLT jukebox entry
alone.
4. Shut down current Linux storage node.
5. Move Storagetek library over to sun box (other library will remain on
Linux box)
6. Boot -r on Sun box to recognize new device(s)
7. Install 6.1.1 LGTOclnt, LGTOdrvr and LGTOnode in that order.
8. Run /etc/LGTOuscsi to ensure picker (changer) and all 4 devices show
up
9. Run jbconfig to configure devices
10. Reboot Linux box and or server if need be and play around with
writing and recovering data from tapes?

The Big question is: Do we need to set up anything special in the
/kernel/drv/st.conf file? I didn't see anything about this in the
installation guide, and the reason I ask, is because on our primary
server, we had to set the following values for its ATL P1000 library
(DLT 7000 drives) to get NetWorker to work properly with it:

tape-config-list = "QUANTUM DLT7000", "Quantum-ATL DLT7000",
"DLT7k-data";

DLT7k-data = 1, 0x36, 0, 0x8639, 4, 0x82, 0x83, 0x84, 0x85, 3;

I thought I saw somewhere on this listing that this wasn't necessary
anymore, but we'd still be using NetWorker 6.1.1, and Solaris is only
one release ahead on this particular Sun box versus the primary server,
so maybe we'd still need it. I remember we had weird problems on primary
server until we added the st.conf entries. And, on our Linux storage
node server, we had to create an /etc/stinit.def file with entries for
the Storagetek library and the ATL P1000 SDLT tape library in order to
avoid those "tape positioning by record disabled" messages during
recoveries. Don't know what entries I'd need to add, but just asking.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

George