Networker

Re: [Networker] Level 9 versus Incremental backup

2004-01-13 08:25:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] Level 9 versus Incremental backup
From: Riaan Louwrens <riaanl AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 15:25:21 +0200
Dave,

Your assumption is correct.

Ex: If you backed up a lev 1 on Monday and lev 9's all the other days ALL of
the level 9's will reference the last lower level backup (meaning - if
nothing changed you will backup exactly the same data Tuesday - Friday).

As for what "most" people prefer to do - I actually prefer to do at least
one FULL backup a week and then either a combination of incrementals and
differentials - or - ONLY the same level differential each day (meaning it
backs up everything since my last full backup - so your restore is your last
full tape and then ONLY the "one" set of tapes with the last differential
backup).

You should always try to look at it foerm the restore side though, you might
save on tapes by doing incrementals, but if you dont have a "recent" full
you restore is going to take foreever to catch all the little backups that
was made.... (been there done that) ...

Mail me offline if you have another question.

Regards,
Riaan