Networker

Re: [Networker] Level 9 versus Incremental backup

2004-01-12 15:23:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Level 9 versus Incremental backup
From: Paul Langford <plangfor AT AB.BLUECROSS DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:26:13 -0700
What type of backup, full or incremental, should be based on what type of
recovery you want to do. As well as on how long your backups and restores
take.

If you do a full once a week and a level 9 incremental every other day, you
will use more tapes, but the most you will have to restore from is 2 tapes.

If you do a full once per week (Saturday?) and incremental every other day,
you will use fewer tapes. But if you need to do a full restore of the system
after Fridays backup, for example - you will be restoring from 7 tapes.

I use a mixture of backup types - depending on user requirements, and system
backup windows.

Paul Langford