Networker

Re: [Networker] Slow index browsing - additional

2003-07-28 06:03:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Slow index browsing - additional
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 06:03:15 -0400
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:16:35 +0200, Riaan Louwrens
<riaanl AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA> wrote:

>I would like to jump onto the back of this question and ask whether there
>are any "utilities" for Unix / Solaris etc. We as well have a 480R box that
>seems to only use 1 of the 2 processors. Is there a way to "force"
Networker
>to use a second (i.e. 3rd / 4th - 10th) processor ?
>
>I know from all the guides and diswcussions that Legato is NOT single
>threaded (allegedly), the performance tuning guide does not really say
>anything helpfull at all (disk and tape write speeds tests are 100%). I
>guess performance tuning / debugging on the various OS's are only gained
>through experience ...

This has been discussed fairly recently on the list.

NetWorker as a whole product is not single-threaded, however the nsrd
process is. nsrd can often be the bottleneck, and can be seen to take up
100% of one CPU while others are idle. Over the years, Legato have improved
the efficiency of nsrd, the latest improvement being the splitting of the
res files in 6.2 and 7.0. There is still more to do IMHO.

Because of nsrd being the bottleneck, you will usually find that for a
NetWorker server, faster CPUs is much preferable to more CPUs. A large NW
server will be struggling with 250MHz CPUs on a Sun box, however many of
them you have.