Networker

Re: [Networker] Bigasm through NDMP

2003-07-23 17:37:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] Bigasm through NDMP
From: Byron Servies <bservies AT PACANG DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:15:11 -0700
On July 23, 2003 at 15:10, Neild, Jim wrote:
> We have an EMC Celerra that we want to performance test and in the past,
> on other clients, we have used BIGASM.  We are not having any luck
> getting it to work on the Celerra, it backs it up as just a plain old
> file.  Where does the "magic" of BIGASM occur?  At the client level (the
> Celerra has no NSR client software installed)?
>
> Any input on this?  Is it possible to BIGASM an NDMP client?

Hi there!

I don't believe this is possible.  bigasm uses NetWorkers
file backup protocol to store a virtual file, made up of
sequential numbers stored as ASCII, to the server.  Since
the data comes directly from memory, the performance of the
filesystem is eliminated as a performance variable.  Also,
using a sequential count as the file data allows the file
to be verified during restore testing.

Because it uses the file protocol directly, I do not believe
it will work in an NDMP environment.

Byron