Networker

Re: [Networker] How to backup SharePoint Portal Server in NW 6.x?

2003-07-03 04:57:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to backup SharePoint Portal Server in NW 6.x?
From: Matts Nilsson <matts_nilsson AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:57:14 +0200
 Hello Timothy!
The problem with not getting the \System32 folder is a
known bug (at least for us trying to back up SPS...
;). Try upgrading the client to 6.0.3 and I believe
that problem will disappear. The bug only appears
after installing SPS and has to do with a registry
change.

As for backing up SPS without upgrading to 7, I've
only found one way to do it that felt safe (enough).
The downside is that you need free disk space on the
SPS client big enough to hold a copy of the SPS
database. If you have that space, there is a VBS
script that comes with SPS which allows you to dump
the DB to disk (use it with savepnpc). Then simply
skip the SPS folders all together and back up the
dump.

HTH and good luck!

// Matts

 --- "T. S. Kimball" <tkimball AT BRASS DOT COM> skrev: >
'Morning all,

> Our NW server is Sun E-450 with Solaris 2.6 and
> Solstice Backup (Sun
> rebranded Legato) 6.0.3.  Library is L700 with
> direct-attatched
> DLT7000 drives.
>
> We have an ongoing problem with one of our PC client
> backups.  It's
> Win2K-Srv running SharePoint Portal Server 1.0.
> This client is
> running 6.0.1 with no modules.
>
> There are two parts to our existing problem (bear
> with me here, I'm
> not a PC Admin):
>
>   - Backup from group will not catch certain
> directories under
> \system32 (in particular
> C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv\MetaBack, which
> apparently is part of IIS).  No error in savegroup
> completion report
> saying that this was skipped, and no directives on
> the PC or applied
> to the client's config.  Manual backup of the
> client's system32
> directory catches the files.
>
>   - To make matters worse, the entire system32
> hierarchy is
> unavailable for browsing (even from the previous
> day's incremental).
> Since the server is Solaris, a SaveSet recovery is
> not possible
> either.  My browse and retention times are set at 13
> weeks (though the
> incrementals are kept 4 weeks).
>
> This has already been escalated through Sun and into
> Legato.  Their
> suggestion is to upgrade NW server/client to 7 and
> use the new module
> for SharePoint.  This is not acceptable from a
> management standpoint
> (cost), and a practical one (every other client
> backup including other
> PCs are rock-solid stable - or nearly so - for
> almost a year now, and
> took over a year to get it that way).  An upgrade to
> 6.1.3 is possible
> but would need to be scheduled with management.
>
> I'd like to know if anyone has been able to
> sucessfully backup such a
> PC in 6.x, and if so how.  We're currently
> discussing Open File
> Manager as an option, but waiting to hear back from
> Sun & Legato.
>

> Thx in Advance,
> --TSK
>
> -----=====-----
> Timothy S. Kimball
> tkimball @ brass.com
> -----=====-----
>

> STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY
>
> The information contained in this electronic message
> and any attachments
> to this message are intended for the exclusive use
> of the addressee(s)
> and may contain confidential or privileged
> information. If you are not
> the intended recipient, please notify SunGard
> Trading Systems immediately
> at (201) 499-5900 and destroy all copies of this
> message and any
> attachments.

> [...]

Gå före i kön och få din sajt värderad på nolltid med Yahoo! Express
Se mer på: http://se.docs.yahoo.com/info/express/help/index.html