Networker

[Networker] How to backup SharePoint Portal Server in NW 6.x?

2003-07-01 00:41:57
Subject: [Networker] How to backup SharePoint Portal Server in NW 6.x?
From: "T. S. Kimball" <tkimball AT BRASS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 00:41:53 -0400
'Morning all,

Our NW server is Sun E-450 with Solaris 2.6 and Solstice Backup (Sun
rebranded Legato) 6.0.3.  Library is L700 with direct-attatched
DLT7000 drives.

We have an ongoing problem with one of our PC client backups.  It's
Win2K-Srv running SharePoint Portal Server 1.0.  This client is
running 6.0.1 with no modules.

There are two parts to our existing problem (bear with me here, I'm
not a PC Admin):

  - Backup from group will not catch certain directories under
\system32 (in particular C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv\MetaBack, which
apparently is part of IIS).  No error in savegroup completion report
saying that this was skipped, and no directives on the PC or applied
to the client's config.  Manual backup of the client's system32
directory catches the files.

  - To make matters worse, the entire system32 hierarchy is
unavailable for browsing (even from the previous day's incremental).
Since the server is Solaris, a SaveSet recovery is not possible
either.  My browse and retention times are set at 13 weeks (though the
incrementals are kept 4 weeks).

This has already been escalated through Sun and into Legato.  Their
suggestion is to upgrade NW server/client to 7 and use the new module
for SharePoint.  This is not acceptable from a management standpoint
(cost), and a practical one (every other client backup including other
PCs are rock-solid stable - or nearly so - for almost a year now, and
took over a year to get it that way).  An upgrade to 6.1.3 is possible
but would need to be scheduled with management.

I'd like to know if anyone has been able to sucessfully backup such a
PC in 6.x, and if so how.  We're currently discussing Open File
Manager as an option, but waiting to hear back from Sun & Legato.

Thx in Advance,
--TSK

Timothy S. Kimball                              tkimball @ brass.com

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY

and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify SunGard Trading Systems immediately
at (201) 499-5900 and destroy all copies of this message and any
attachments.