Networker

Re: [Networker] Initial Report on Functionality improvements in NW7 using Adv_Fil e devices

2003-05-22 14:19:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Initial Report on Functionality improvements in NW7 using Adv_Fil e devices
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 14:19:31 -0400
On Thu, 22 May 2003 12:05:46 -0400, Robert Maiello
<robert.maiello AT MEDEC DOT COM> wrote:

>Presuming we're all heading in this direction (ie..backup to disk, stage
>to tape)

Now that's an interesting assumption. I would say that this is not the
universal direction. I agree that staging via disk has many attractions,
mainly the quick access for recoveries and ability to clone multiple times
more quickly, however for pure speed, today's tape drives are streets
ahead. If quick file recoveries are the aim, there are other ways to do
this, such as snapshotting software, and the snapshotting features of the
various disk storage technologies that are around. Staging is a useful
tool, but just another option in our backup armouries.

What do you think?