Networker

Re: [Networker] FQDN clients?

2003-02-26 15:14:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] FQDN clients?
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:14:05 +0100
On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Thomas, Calvin wrote:

TC> Use the FQDN everywhere for networker useage. Don't use www for the host
TC> name or the alias. If you use the FQDN at both ends of the networker link
TC> you won't have any problems.  The only purpose for the host name is a
TC> shorthand way for two machines to find each other.

Yes, I get problems. If I only specify FQDN on the backup server when
setting up the client config there, the group starts, but the client gets
rejected when save.exe connects back to the backup server, since it
introduces itself as "www". Thus, I suppose I would like to get the
NT/2000 client to introduce itself as the FQDN over the legato protocol..?
How can I accomplish that in the best possible way?

TC> In this case, you shouldn't use www in the host name in Windows either as it
TC> will confuse windows machines that are looking for www.  If you are using an
TC> NT4.0 compatible active directory, both machines will advertise the same
TC> name in netbios causing confusion in your windows network (assuming your W2K
TC> network is running as backwards compatible with NT4).

The conflicting machines are not in the same domain, so windows/SMB
networking isn't an issue here. And the hostname "www" could be anything,
for instance "fileserver1", since customers can name the machines to
whatever they like.

Maybe you understand what the problem is now? :) If not, maybe I should
try to do this step-by-step and write everything down, so it perhaps gets
a bit clearer? :)

//Oscar