Networker

Re: [Networker] FQDN clients?

2003-02-26 15:00:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] FQDN clients?
From: "Thomas, Calvin" <calvin.thomas AT NACALOGISTICS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:00:01 -0800
Sorry oscar. I should have read it more carefully before the flip answer.

Use the FQDN everywhere for networker useage. Don't use www for the host
name or the alias. If you use the FQDN at both ends of the networker link
you won't have any problems.  The only purpose for the host name is a
shorthand way for two machines to find each other.

In this case, you shouldn't use www in the host name in Windows either as it
will confuse windows machines that are looking for www.  If you are using an
NT4.0 compatible active directory, both machines will advertise the same
name in netbios causing confusion in your windows network (assuming your W2K
network is running as backwards compatible with NT4).