Networker

Re: [Networker] CRC errors across the country!

2002-11-06 10:48:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] CRC errors across the country!
From: Murray Dietrich <murray.dietrich AT GOV.AB DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 10:48:12 -0500
Jeff (the poster of the question last year) has supplied the response
below. In the meantime, I'm replacing cables and terminators as per the
other posts received on this issue. I'll see what that does.

>From Jeff:
------------------
In a all WINDOWS environment....After many exhausting months of collecting
data on our CRC's we found in most cases the following in order were the
cause:

1.  Correct data on the server disk.  Run a read only check disk on your
volume to see if you have corrupt data.  If you do, throw the server in to a
low level check disk to repair it -- example:  chkdsk e: /F /R
Verify it is repaired by running another read only check disk.

2.  Tape Media/DLT Drives - we found that degaussing tapes causes problems.
We found that new tape media will one time CRC, but it should never give you
any further problems.  Do not clean your DLT drives unless they alert to do
so.  If you see multiple CRC's on one drive and different media, have the
DLT drive replaced.

3.  Upgrade to NW 6.1.1!!  It is a SWEET version!  MUCH better.

Note:  Item number one mentioned above was HUGE for use.. truly eliminated
majority of our CRC's.

Hope that helps.