Networker

Re: [Networker] Moving NetWorker from SUN to HP

2002-08-27 07:40:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] Moving NetWorker from SUN to HP
From: Itzik Meirson <imeirson AT MBI.CO DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:39:14 +0300
Matthew,
I procedure that I carried out moving from Tru64 to SGI consisted of the
following steps:
Please note that I assume your original Networker server is 6.x.x. (for pre 6.x
the procedure should be slightly different).
This procedure should move your current Networker environment configuration
including index and media databases.
It should be preferred that the new server name will be identical to the old
server name, otherwise ....!
A. On the original server:
        1. Create a group that includes all your clients (for indexes save).
This group should dot be scheduled.
        2. Note where /nsr points to. You will have to recreate this link on
the new machine.
        3. Ensure no backup/restore activity in your server.
        4. Create a full backup of all your client indexes and bootstrap by
using: savegrp -O -l full -G IndexesSaveGroupName
        5. Note the bootsrap information produced for the step above.
        6. Optional - shutdown your current server and move the jukebox to the
new machine.
B. On the new server (should be the same name as original server name):
        1. Connect your jukebox (hardware/drivers wise).
        2. Create a link from /nsr to the desired location of your Networker
directory. This should be the same as the one on the original server.
        3. Install clean Networker server. Make sure /nsr points to the
location as found in item A2. Ensure Networker is up!
        4. Configure your jukebox from scratch.
        5. Insert the tape from step A4-5 into a drive.
        6. Use the mmrecov command. When it prompts you specify device name,
ssid, file number on tape.
        7. When step 6 ends, you have the media database recovered to /nsr/mm,
the old /nsr.res directory to /nsr.res.R and the server index to
/nsr/index/ServerName.
        8. Shut down Networker.
        9. Rename /nsr.res.R to /nsr.res.
        10. Restart Networker.
        11. Delete from your Networker configuration (now the original one)
your jukebox and tape drives.
        12. Reconfigure your jukebox and tape drives. Inventory your jukebox by
issuing: "nsrjb -HEvvvvv;nsrjb -Ivvvvv". This may take some time if your
jukebox is big (has many slots).
        13. Recover all your client indexes with "nsrck -L7"

To the best of my knowledge this procedure should work between any two
Networker servers platform.

HTH,
        Itzik