Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Bacula kills tape drive and autoloader

2017-07-24 18:02:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Bacula kills tape drive and autoloader
From: Ana Emília M. Arruda <emiliaarruda AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Hicks, Daniel CTR OSD DMEA" <daniel.hicks.ctr AT dmea.osd DOT mil>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 19:00:59 -0300
Hello Daniel,

You are welcome :-).

I see you are using /dev/sgX and /dev/nstX device names for the autochanger configuration. This is not recommended since they can be modified after server reboots.

Please use /dev/tape/by-id values or even udev rules. Also, I noticed you have a pool configured to use "Storage = HP-Overland". To avoid confusion, I would rename your tape library and tape drive resources:

bacula-sd.conf

Autochanger {

  Name = "

​HP-Overland-​
Autochanger"

  Device = HP-Overland

​-Drive-0​

  Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"

  Changer Device = /dev/​tape/by-id/scsi-3500110a00093f5f0

}

Device {

  Name = HP-Overland

​-Drive-0​

  Drive Index = 0

  Media Type = LTO-5

  Archive Device = /dev/​tape/by-id/scsi-3500110a00093f5f1-nst

  AutomaticMount = yes;

  AlwaysOpen = yes;

  RemovableMedia = yes;

  RandomAccess = no;

  AutoChanger = yes;

  Alert Command = "sh -c 'smartctl -H -l error /dev/sg3'"

}

​The Storage definition in bacula-dir.conf, should use
​ be something like:

Storage {
  Name =
HP-Overlan
​d​
​-TL
  Device = HP-Overland-Autochanger
  Autochanger = yes
​}​

​Then your Tape pool should be configured to use the tape library and not the single drive:​

# Tape pool definition

Pool {

  Name = Tape

  Pool Type = Backup

  Recycle = yes

  AutoPrune = yes

  Volume Retention = 3 years

  Storage = HP-Overland​​-TL

}

​Regarding what you mentioned about the migration job, I would recommend you to have the btape tests successfully run and a successful backup job writing to tape before dealing with a migration job.​

The "fill" btape test needs a blank tape. You should have it formated before using it with the fill btape test:

mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
mt -f /dev/nst0 weof

If this does not solve this problem, please let us know the Bacula version you are using.

Best regards,
Ana