Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Job is waiting on Storage

2017-07-14 01:08:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Job is waiting on Storage
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 23:07:59 -0600
On 07/13/2017 06:50 PM, Jim Richardson wrote:
> I can’t seem to get Bacula to run simultaneous jobs when using the same
> storage device.  Can anyone offer advice?
>

> Running Jobs:
>
> Console connected at 13-Jul-17 19:37
>
> JobId  Type Level     Files     Bytes  Name              Status

>    934  Back Diff    106,028    537.4 G C2T-Data is running
>
>    935  Back Diff          0         0  C2T-Archive is waiting for higher
> priority jobs to finish
>
>    936  Back Full     19,943    13.58 G D2D-DC02-Application is running
>
>    937  Back Full          0         0  D2D-HRMS-Application is waiting on
> Storage "Storage_Daily2Disk"
>
>    938  Back Full          0         0  D2D-Fish-Application is waiting on
> Storage "Storage_Daily2Disk"
>
>    939  Back Full          0         0  D2D-SPR01-Application is waiting on
> Storage "Storage_Daily2Disk"

Hi Jim,

To me, it looks like your settings are correct regarding MaximumConcurrentjobs
(MCJ)...

What I think is going on here is that jobid 935 is holding everything else up
due to it having a different priority.

Notice that its status is: "waiting for higher priority jobs to finish"

Unless you have set "AllowMixedPriority" in your Job resources, then the
other jobs will wait until this one is finished. Personally, I do not
recommend that this be set, as it causes more confusion than clarity in my
opinion.

Just an FYI: The status "is waiting for higher priority jobs to finish", in my
humble opinion is not really 100% correct. It could be that it "is waiting on
LOWER priority jobs to finish", but the same message is printed in both cases.
I think this message could be more specific to the actual case, or made more
generic to say "waiting on jobs of different priorities to finish, and
'AllowMixedPriority' not enabled..."  (something like this)

I wonder why though, that jobid  936 (after 935) is listed as running...
Perhaps check its priority to see if it is the same as jobid 934 "C2T-Data"

If you set the "C2T-Archive" job's priority to the same priority as the other
backup jobs, then it will not be held up, and it will not hold up any other
queued jobs.

You can investigate the "AllowMixedPriority" option, but I think it may not do
what you want (exactly).

Another option is to set up some schedules to try to make sure this "Archive"
jobs is run when no other normal backup jobs are running.

Best regards,

Bill

--
Bill Arlofski