Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Changing maximum block size for a tape

2017-06-02 16:00:18
Subject: [Bacula-users] Changing maximum block size for a tape
From: Ivan Adzhubey <iadzhubey AT rics.bwh.harvard DOT edu>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 15:59:14 -0400
Hi,

Can a tape written by Bacula with one MaximumBlockSize value be reused after
changing MaximumBlockSize to a different value? I mean, not the data on the
tape, I understand all data will be lost, but can the tape itself be relabeled
and then used with a different block size configured?

The reason I am asking is the following recent post from Kern Sibbald saying
you will not be able to reuse tapes written with a different block size after
you change it:

https://sourceforge.net/p/bacula/mailman/message/35871159/

> > 1. Is it safe (Bacula 7.XX) to set the block size to something other
> > than 64K?
>
> Yes.  However, once you have written a tape with a given block size, you
> cannot changed the block size unless you re-initialized the tape.

What does "re-initialize" means here? I thought you cannot re-initialize a LTO
format tape because of the servo tracks which are hardwritten during
manufacturing.

Thanks,
Ivan

--