Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] cleaning is so manual!

2017-04-07 15:18:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] cleaning is so manual!
From: Heitor Faria <heitor AT bacula.com DOT br>
To: RAT <robert3t AT netzero DOT net>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 16:17:46 -0300 (BRT)
Hello, Robert,
I have a tape labeled CLN001 and I have cleaning tape defined as such but it never seems to get used.
To clean, I stop bacula, mount cleaning tape, it cleans, I unmount & restart.  Sometimes (I think) I tell the robot to clean.
Anyways, on Netbackup, it just auto-cleans every so many hours.  Is this what everyone experiences or am I doing it wrong again?
This is not a backup software feature, but a hardware one. Tape libraries have the auto-cleaning option when you usually reserve a slot for the cleaning tape.
Unnecessary or manual cleaning should be avoided because cleaning tapes are abrasive, wears the tape drive and have limited uses.
Robert Threet
Regards,
Heitor Medrado de Faria  | Bacula do Brasil
• Não seja tarifado pelo tamanho dos seus backups, conheça o Bacula Enterprise: http://www.bacula.com.br/enterprise/
 Ministro treinamento e implementação in-company do Bacula Community: http://www.bacula.com.br/in-company/
(61) 98268-4220 | www.bacula.com.br
Indicamos também as capacitações complementares:
 Shell básico e Programação em Shell com Julio Neves.
 Zabbix com Adail Host.