Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Dell TL1000 IBM3850-HH7

2017-04-01 11:28:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Dell TL1000 IBM3850-HH7
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Jim Richardson <jim AT securit360 DOT com>, Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2017 17:27:55 +0200

On 03/31/2017 10:27 PM, Jim Richardson wrote:
> Alan,
>
> I certainly understand what you are saying.  My days of coding full time are
> long over.  I am just a guy trying to get a good opensource community
> supported solution in place.  Kern will certainly have more pull then I will.
>
> Kern can you give us the official line on lin_tape support?
I am pretty well booked until the end of the year, mostly backporting
Bacula Enterprise to the community and preparing to implement Aligned
volumes and then the Cloud SD plugins for the community.

After that, I am not 100% sure what I will be doing, but high on my list
is implementing Aligned volumes for tapes (actually VTLs).

The best bet for getting new tape drivers is to convince Bacula Systems
that it is important.  At the moment, it is not on the roadmap and
hardly on the radar screen.  I am sure of that because I define (with
agreement of the major players) the Bacula Systems Roadmap.

By the way, if you use the default Tape Device resource, Bacula will not
read to find the end of the tape data, it will do a single ioctl
function, and if the driver knows how to get there fast it will do it.

Best regards,
Kern