Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restore problem out of the blue - scratch pool is suddenly "invalid"

2017-01-15 13:39:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restore problem out of the blue - scratch pool is suddenly "invalid"
From: Phil Stracchino <phils AT caerllewys DOT net>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>, bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 13:38:35 -0500
On 01/15/17 02:35, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Sorry, I did not explain the problem clearly enough.  For some reason (I
> hope to find out Monday), doing backups directly to a Scratch pool (i.e.
> the Scratch pool is directly referenced in the Job) do or can lead to
> problems.

Yeah, I can see that backing up to a scratch pool could be a bad idea.

>  So the idea of the person submitting the bug report and the
> person that implemented it was to forbid backing up directly to a
> Scratch pool.  That doesn't mean that the backup cannot use a Volume
> that came from the Scratch pool.
>
> There has always been a Pool Type, but it has never been implemented
> other than the directive is there, but the value is never used.  I still
> have plans for the Pool Type though.

OK.  Perhaps add a Scratch pool type then?

>> The pools containing the disk volumes required for the restore have
>> Scratch set as their Recycle pool.  That is the only connection.
>
> Having the Scratch set in a Recycle pool should not be a problem.
>
> Could you do an "llist" of the volume(s) chosen to be restored?  I just
> want to be 100% sure the Volume is not currently in the Scratch pool.  I
> think, but I am not sure, that the problem may be your Storage directive
> in the Scratch pool.

There aren't *any* volumes currently in the Scratch pool.  All volumes
required for the backup were in one of three pools:  Full-Tape,
Diff-Disk, Incr-Disk.

> Pool {   /* required items */
>     Name
>     Pool Type
> }
>
> So, unless I am missing something, you could remove the Storage
> directive.  If you do that, please let me know if it fixes the problem.

I'll give it a try right now and update back to 7.4.4.  (I had to back
out to 7.4.3 to perform the backup.)

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications