Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restore problem out of the blue - scratch pool is suddenly "invalid"

2017-01-14 16:37:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restore problem out of the blue - scratch pool is suddenly "invalid"
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Phil Stracchino <phils AT caerllewys DOT net>, bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 22:36:24 +0100
Hello Phil,

Someone apparently someone submitted the following comment to a bug report:

====
Currently, a scratch pool is uses as any other pool. In particula, it is
possible to use a scratch pool as a target for backups. The result may
be quite unexpected and annoying.

One solution would be that the DIR refuses to run a job where the target
pool is called "Scratch" OR the target pool has a PoolId that is used in
any other pool as Scratch Pool, i.e. where a query like
   select count(*) from pool where
scratchpoolid=<thepoolforthecurrentbackup>;
returns more than 0.
====

The recommendation was made to forbid a backup going into the Scratch
pool.  This was implemented in the Enterprise version and part of what
was back ported.

My comment is that I am not sure it is such a good idea to prohibit
users from backing up directly to the Scratch pool, and in any case, the
code that was implemented applies to *any* kind of Job.  Now for this to
happen,
you must someplace have mentioned the Scratch pool, possibly in your
Restore,  or by the fact that used a Storage definition in your Scratch
pool resource.

I am not 100% why you have a Storage directive in your Scratch pool, so
I would be interested in your comments.   However, this Storage
directive is probably the source of the problem, and could probably be
fixed by removing it.

Having said that, the code is just plain broken because, even if one can
admit that it is a good idea to prohibit backups directly to the Scratch
pool, at least the code should restrict itself to apply only to backup
Jobs.  The code was added in August 2016.

Best regards,
Kern