Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Move content of a volume to another volume

2017-01-08 04:32:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Move content of a volume to another volume
From: Josip Deanovic <djosip+news AT linuxpages DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2017 10:31:08 +0100
On Sunday 2017-01-08 09:21:04 Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:
> Hello,

> > Hello,
> >
> > is there a way in bacula to move all the data from one volume to
> > another volume in the same pool? I tried migrate job but it seems to
> > be possible to migrate only from one pool to another.
>
> You can always use the hammer. :)
>
> Just move data from one tape to other tape to the different (or
> dedicated) pool. Then move the volume from this pool to the original
> pool with update bconsole command, i.e.
> $ update volume=<name> pool=<original>
>
> simple and fast solution
>
> best regards

There is a bcopy tool which could be more appropriate in this case:
http://www.bacula.org/7.4.x-manuals/en/utility/Volume_Utility_Tools.html#SECTION00280000000000000000

It can copy an archive from one tape to another or even to a file and
from a file back to a tape.

When it copies an archive from one tape to another it would require two
tape drives.
If two tape drives are not available it is necessary to copy an archive
to a file first.

Since the bcopy tool doesn't modify the catalog, in order to use the
data copied to the new tape it is necessary either to modify the
database manually and change the appropriate tape IDs or even better,
to use bscan tool to automatically update the catalog with all the
data on the new tape after which the old tape could (and probably
should) be deleted from the pool.

Regards

--
Josip Deanovic