Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula does not delete OLD files from disk

2016-09-30 17:02:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula does not delete OLD files from disk
From: Marcin Haba <ganiuszka AT gmail DOT com>
To: elm.ceis AT gmail DOT com
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 23:01:22 +0200
Hello,

Bacula doesn't remove volume files. You mention you expect that Bacula
will remove volume files when retention period has expired. The
retention period is an option that is part of a big subject called
Volume Recycling.

Recycling by desing means re-using something again as a something new.

The volumes management described by you is only one from many
different volumes managements. Additionally Bacula supports data
multiplexing on volumes to enable writing few data stream.

I think that your idea is generally OK, but it could be painful for
the Bacula desing.

Best regards.
Marcin Haba (gani)

On 30 September 2016 at 22:27,  <elm.ceis AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> I have an issue with bacula version 5.2.6 on Debian.
> bacula does not delete the physical files from disk after the retention
> period has expired. I have different paths ( disks) for different bacula
> jobs. let's say the backup location for client X is under drive 1 and the
> backup location for client Y is under drive 2. when the the retention period
> has expired for one of the incremental backup of client 1, bacula  marks it
> purged and uses the lable for creating a new incremental backup for client Y
> under disk 2, but it does not delete the OLD file from the disk1.
>
> part of my bacula-dir configuration files related to purge:
>
> Pool {
>
> Name = IncrementalPool
>
>   Pool Type = Backup
>
>   Recycle = yes
>
>   AutoPrune = yes
>
>   UseVolumeOnce = yes
>
>   Volume Retention = 1 weeks
>
>   Volume Use Duration = 23h

> }

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for
his friends." Jesus Christ

"Większej miłości nikt nie ma nad tę, jak gdy kto życie swoje kładzie
za przyjaciół swoich." Jezus Chrystus