Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] A few questions related with new setup

2016-08-29 09:54:04
Subject: [Bacula-users] A few questions related with new setup
From: Win Htin <win.htin AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 09:52:53 -0400
Hi folks,

I am in the process of migrating my old LTO4 based library to a new LTO6 based one. Currently I am running version 5.2.12 with the old library and the new one is running version 7.0.5.

1. On the old system, I have multiple pools, job definitions and filesets created.
    I would like to clean this up and have less pools, definitions etc to optimize the tapedrives' utilization. At the same time, I need to be able to recover tapes/volumes taken in 2013 until 2020. In this situation Do I need to recreate all previous configurations?

2. As a continuation of the above question, how about if I move a client from old pool to a new pool? Can I restore the data without the old pool being there?

3. This is totally unrelated with the migration. On the current setup, I have TWO different incremental pools.  I noticed TWO volumes from one pool and ONE volume from another pool are being used when I do incremental backups. What happens is when both volumes from same pool are loaded but the job requires volume from a different pool, it has to unload and reload. This creates a lot of wasted time going back and forth between different volumes. How best do I mitigate this problem? I even saw a situation when both volumes from same pool are FULL, it will pull tapes from the Scratch pool and use up all volumes from Scratch pool. Is writing to two volumes from same pool a feature?

Thanks,
Win