Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restore from offline disk files

2016-08-09 03:59:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restore from offline disk files
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Ken Mandelberg <km AT mathcs.emory DOT edu>, Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 09:58:33 +0200
Hello,

The files are indexed.  However, the index is a sparse index
and does not usually index each file.  So the bottom line is that Bacula
is able to start looking for a file at the point the last index was made
and then it must search.

The index is controlled through the directive  "Maximum File Size" as
defined in the Device resource of the SD.  The default is 1GB. The
smaller this number the more index records you will have (and the
slower the backup will run) but restores will be faster.  The bigger it is
the more efficient (smaller) the index will be but restores will be slightly
slower.

The default is a good compromise for disk for reasonable backup speeds
versus reasonable restore speeds.  For very fast taped (e.g. LTO-6) you will
want a much bigger maximum file size.  I.e. probably 5GB or more for an
LTO-6.

Best regards,
Kern