Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How does Bacula know a changed file?

2016-07-21 10:38:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How does Bacula know a changed file?
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 10:38:53 -0400
On 7/21/2016 9:31 AM, philhu wrote:
> Something is wrong here
>
> I moved 48TB from one NAS to the other, rsync -avz --numeric-ids
>
> All dates/times were identical between the two, but when I mounted new at
> same mount points, every other application pointing at the NAS was happy,
> EXCEPT BACULA which proceeded to do incrementals, selecting ALL files

No. They are not identical. When rsync copies the file from one
filesystem to another it must touch inodes on the target filesystem. It
can set mtime and atime on the target file, but it cannot reset ctime.
(Even the act of setting mtime or changing permissions affects ctime!)

By setting mtimeonly=yes in the job resource, it is possible to alter
the way in which Bacula chooses files to backup for incremental and
differential jobs. With mtimeonly=yes, the ctime will be ignored and
Bacula will rely solely on the mtime. It is not generally advisable to
rely solely on mtime, but if you want to swap NAS devices in this way,
then it will be necessary.