Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual autochangers: how to "reserve" devices and "media type"

2016-07-01 06:54:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual autochangers: how to "reserve" devices and "media type"
From: Francisco Javier Funes Nieto <esencia AT gmail DOT com>
To: Area de Sistemas <sistemas AT uva DOT es>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 12:53:54 +0200
Hi,
In my config I use one Media Type for each AutoChanger.

Each Autochanger it's linked to a set of clients (all of them for the same corp.) and each autochanger has its own restore device with autoselect=no.

Bacula try to use the device for restore with higher number of concurrent jobs.
You can check it in this whitepaper:

"To be able to restore a file concurrently with backups, the last Backup device should have a large “Maximum Concurrent Jobs” setting, and the last device will be used automatically for Restore."

Hope it helps.

Best Regards

J.

Hi,

We have been using bacula with DISK BASED BACKUP during years (in a multi-pool, multi-device configuration)

Recently we have "redefined" the devices as autochangers according the Bacula documentation.

Although the "whole thing" appears to be running ok we have TWO questions:

1) In the previous "device mode", the MediaType of all defined devices was set as "File"...Now, in the "autochanger mode" I've also used the same MediaType "File" for ALL devices in ALL autochangers...

   * Is this right or  MUST I use a different MediaType for every autochanger (in all its devices)?

   * If I must use a different MediaType...the change implies some problem with existent volumes? Must I do/change something with the existent volumes?

2) According Bacula documentation is possible to "reserve" a device in an autochanger setting the property "Autoselect=no" in that device definition but...

   * How can I force bacula to use these reserved devices for a restore command?

   * The Bacula documentation sais that this can be done but NOT HOW, and apparently the restore command (at least interactively) only permits specify the Storage, not the device...

Regards.
--

Jose Manuel Blanco.

Area de Sistemas
Servicio de las Tecnologias de la Informacion y Comunicaciones (STIC)
Universidad de Valladolid
Edificio Alfonso VIII, C/Real de Burgos s/n. 47011, Valladolid - ESPAÑA
Telefono: 983 18-6410, Fax: 983 423271
E-mail: sistemas AT uva DOT es

AVISO SOBRE CONFIDENCIALIDAD. La legislación española ampara el secreto de las comunicaciones. Este correo electrónico y sus anexos son estrictamente confidenciales. Si Vd. no es el destinatario del mismo, por favor, notifíquenoslo inmediatamente y destruya el original. No deberá copiar este mensaje ni sus anexos o usarlo para propósito alguno, ni divulgar su contenido a ninguna persona.
WARNING ABOUT CONFIDENCIALITY. Spanish law guarantees privacy in electronic communications.This message and its attachments are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient please, notify us inmediately and destroy or the original to us. You should not copy this message or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its content to any other person.

Francisco Javier Funes Nieto [esencia AT gmail DOT com]
CANONIGOS
Servicios Informáticos para PYMES.
Cl. Cruz 2, 1º Oficina 7
Tlf: 958.536759 / 661134556