Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Best backup strategy on short disk capacity

2016-06-21 08:11:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Best backup strategy on short disk capacity
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Jason Voorhees <jvoorhees1 AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 14:09:55 +0200
Hello,

You are sort of in an impossible situation.  With the large amount of
data you have and the small backup space, it will be hard to make Bacula
work as it should.

My very strong conviction is that any single backup job that last more
than 10 hours is too long.  If it takes 7 days to backup one machine,
Bacula will not work very well.

At a minimum you should split your Windows backup into four separate
jobs each one backing up a single drive.  Then after completing a full
backup of each drive, you can stagger backups to do a full of the
machine over 4 days (one for each drive).  That will reduce the overall
backup load.  However, if a backup of a single drive takes 2 days, in my
opinion, it will still be too long.

Another, though slightly more complicated way to handle it is to
separate the Fulls as noted above, but when the next Full for a drive
comes do, do a VirtualFull instead of a full.  All the other backups for
that drive can then be  Incrementals.  At least one of the Incrementals
should be with Accurate = yes.  Then as a security measure do another
real Full (per drive) once a year.

About how to handle retention periods: that is too complicated for me to
explain here.  The simplest solution is to get much more disk for use by
Bacula, or you can get a professional support to get help for retention
periods, or ask for help on the list. Reading the "Automated Disk
Backup" chapter may help or "Automatic Volume Recycling" and "Basic
Volume Management".  It is all there, but it is much easier to
understand with help.

Best regards,
Kern