Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Best backup strategy on short disk capacity

2016-06-20 10:50:01
Subject: [Bacula-users] Best backup strategy on short disk capacity
From: Jason Voorhees <jvoorhees1 AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 09:49:06 -0500
Hello guys:

I'm running Bacula 7.4.0 to save backup of my Windows fileserver which
has 4 drives (D:, F:, G:, H:) with 7.1 TB of total capacity.

I've ran a full backup during 7 days which occupied 5.8 TB (~20%
compression rate) in a local filesystem with local SATA disks. This
local filesystem is at 80% usage so I don't have enough free space to
run a 2nd full backup. I was planning to run Full + Incremental +
Differential backups like this:

- Full -> 1st sunday
- Differential -> 2nd-5th sunday
- Incremental -> monday-saturday

If my full backup takes 7 days to complete, how should I schedule my
jobs? I created 3 Storage resources which each point to 3 different
directories so I can run a Full+Incremental or Full+Differential jobs
concurrently.

Also, how long should my retention periods should be so I can run a
new full backup without filling my disk up to 100%? I thought my
retention period could be something like 30 days or less (maybe 21
days)... but .... if my last full backup is overwritten by the new
full backup I guess I won't be able to have a valid copy during the
time my new full backup is running (7 days approximately). Am I right?

I hope you can understand how confused I am here.

P.D. I only use bacula to make backups to this Windows fileserver and
the Bacula server, no more clients are backed up.

Thanks in advance for your help.