Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-7 tape drive settings in bacula 7.4.0

2016-05-26 06:22:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-7 tape drive settings in bacula 7.4.0
From: Cejka Rudolf <cejkar AT fit.vutbr DOT cz>
To: "Rao, Uthra R. (GSFC-672.0)[ADNET SYSTEMS INC]" <uthra.r.rao AT nasa DOT gov>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 12:07:52 +0200
Rao, Uthra R. (GSFC-672.0)[ADNET SYSTEMS INC] wrote (2016/05/25):
> I have a Qualstar Tape library (RLS-87120) with three LTO7 tape drives.
> It is connected to the backup server directly through Fiber Channel.
> I am  running bacula 7.4.  I ran a test backup which completed
> successfully but I found that the LTO-7 Tape was not used up to
> its full capacity of 6TB. It wrote 2.6TB and marked the tape "FULL"
> then moved on to the next tape in the pool. I expected the backup to
> write 6TB to the tape before marking it "FULL"? Here is the information
> from my bacula-sd.conf:

Do you really have LTO-7 tape media in LTO-7 tape drive? It looks like
only LTO-6 tape media in LTO-7 tape drive. Or, you have to have sustained
data rate atleast 100 MB/s, so tape drive can avoid backhitching. In
another case, when you are not unable to feed your tape drive atleast
100 MB/s, then backhitching does occur and full tape capacity could
not be used.

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology