Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Large numbers of files (Was: backing up automounted FS)

2016-03-31 18:45:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Large numbers of files (Was: backing up automounted FS)
From: Lloyd Brown <lloyd_brown AT byu DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 16:43:22 -0600
On 03/31/2016 03:00 PM, Marcel De Boer wrote:
>   - The FD seems to run in a single thread, so it only does one stat at a
>     time. This means that effectively only one or two disks from the array
>     are used at any given time. Is there a way to parallelize the FD?
>     (something simpler than one job per user homedir, that would be a
>     management nightmare)

I wish there was something built in, but here (attached) is what we're
doing for our current homedirs, the ones that are being retired soon.
It splits up the directories based on the first character, as a way of
dividing them up roughly evenly.  Then we can have different letters
doing full backups on different days of the month, etc.

There may be a better way than this.  It's not as complicated management
as one job per homedir, but not as well-balanced either.  Just kinda in
the middle.

--
Lloyd Brown
Systems Administrator