Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Delayed job delay other jobs assigned to the same volume

2016-03-30 17:21:47
Subject: [Bacula-users] Delayed job delay other jobs assigned to the same volume
From: S P Arif Sahari Wibowo <arifsaha AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 15:19:28 -0600 (MDT)
Hi Bacula users!

I often experience issues with the fact that Bacula assigned
multiple jobs to one tape volume, that when one of the jobs is
delayed or take too much time, all other jobs will also be
delayed. There seems to be limited we can do with this issue
with tape backup (let me know if I am not correct), but since we
are looking toward moving into having disk as storage-backend, I
am wondering whether there is anything I can do with disk-based
backup to reduce this issue. These methods seems promising:

1. Creating multiple "Device"s point to the same storage backend
    and have a virtual "Autochanger" to manage them. It seems
    that to alleviate the issue above, I need to set "Maximum
    Concurrent Jobs" for each "Device" to 1, right? However, I am
    wondering whether Bacula will spread the jobs to multiple
    devices; previously with tape backup, most of the time Bacula
    only use the primary / default device (tape drive).

2. Creating multiple "Pool"s and distribute the jobs among them.
    This seems to require a lot of manual works, though. More
    extreme (but actually less manual work), is having one "Pool"
    per "Job" definition, therefore each volume will be dedicated
    to 1 "Job" definition, and won't wait for another "Job".

3. Limit only one job instance per volume, i.e. "Maximum Volume
    Jobs = 1", so Bacula cannot assign more than 1 job to a
    volume. The issue is the number of volume files proliferating
    in the storage backend.

4. Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

--