Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula LTO3 error

2016-03-04 12:45:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula LTO3 error
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 17:38:02 +0000
On 04/03/16 15:16, mauser1 wrote:
> root@house:~# mtx status
> cannot open SCSI device '/dev/changer' - No such file or directory
>
> root@house:~# tapeinfo -f /dev/changer
> cannot open SCSI device '/dev/changer' - No such file or directory
>
> root@house:~# loaderinfo -f /dev/changer
> cannot open SCSI device '/dev/changer' - No such file or directory

What kind of changer have you got, and is the robot accessed via a
bridge from one of the drives or directly/via an external bridge?

I ask because I have a Quantum i500 and if a bad (*) tape is loaded into
the drive which is the bridge into the changer, both of them will drop
off the SAS/FC bus. (The changer logs a critical drive error, visible in
its GUI)

(*) Either very dirty, damaged or has tagged itself as "end of life,
read only"

The fix is to login to the Changer's GUI, go into diagnostics and "drive
reset"

The (better) fix is not to load in dirty tapes, which is easier said
than done.

I'm looking at buying a MPTapes.com LTO tape cleaner and LTO health
checker but this is a $6-7000 option. I can justify it because we have
over 1000 LTO5s onsite and replacing them is not practical.