Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Trouble setting up Bacula on FreeBSD

2016-03-01 12:24:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Trouble setting up Bacula on FreeBSD
From: Simon Templar <stemplar AT opposedtwin DOT com>
To: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 12:17:21 -0500
Hello, and thank you all for your suggestions.

Just to make sure my hardware is still working I installed gtar and dumped about 10tb to tape, and it completed without errors.

Perhaps I should have included this information in the first email, but I’ve tried several combinations of parameters in the bacula-sd.conf, and it failed each time. Here are the parts I’ve changed:

First try:
Offline On Unmount = no
Hardware End of Medium = no
BSF at EOM = yes
Backward Space Record = no
Fast Forward Space File = no
TWO EOF = yes

Second Try:
 Device {
  Name           = QuantumLTO
  Media Type     = LTO6
  Device Type = Tape
  ArchiveDevice = /dev/nsa0
  LabelMedia     = yes
#  Random Access  = yes
  Requires Mount = no
  AutomaticMount = yes
  RemovableMedia = yes
  Always Open = yes
  Offline On Unmount = no
  Hardware End of Medium = yes
  BSF at EOM = yes
  Backward Space Record = yes
  Fast Forward Space File = yes
  TWO EOF = yes

Third Try:
Device {
  Name           = QuantumLTO
  Media Type     = LTO6
  Device Type = Tape
  ArchiveDevice = /dev/nsa0
  Description = "LTO-6 for FreeBSD"
  LabelMedia     = yes
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = yes
  RemovableMedia = yes
  Offline On Unmount = no
  Hardware End of Medium = no
  BSF at EOM = yes
  Backward Space Record = no
  Fast Forward Space File = no
  TWO EOF = yes

Fourth Try:
Device {
  Name           = QuantumLTO
  Media Type     = LTO6
  Device Type = Tape
  ArchiveDevice = /dev/nsa0
  Description = "LTO-6 for FreeBSD"
  LabelMedia     = yes
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = yes
  RemovableMedia = yes
  Offline On Unmount = no
  Hardware End of Medium = no # Noted as FreeBSD specific
  BSF at EOM = no # Noted as FreeBSD specific
  Backward Space Record = no # Noted as FreeBSD specific
  Fast Forward Space File = yes # Noted as FreeBSD specific
  TWO EOF = no # Noted as FreeBSD specific

And today, as I type this I’m trying a btape fill test with:
Device {
  Name           = QuantumLTO
  Media Type     = LTO6
  Device Type = Tape
  ArchiveDevice = /dev/nsa0
  Description = "LTO-6 for FreeBSD"
  LabelMedia     = yes
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = yes
  RemovableMedia = yes
  Offline On Unmount = no
  Hardware End of Medium = no # Noted as FreeBSD specific
  BSF at EOM = yes # Support List Recommendation
  Backward Space Record = yes # Support List Recommendation
  Fast Forward Space File = yes # Noted as FreeBSD specific
  TWO EOF = yes # Support List Recommendation
Minimum Block Size = 64512
Maximum Block Size = 64512

Which is similar to my third try, with the exceptions of Backward Space Record, Fast Forward Space File, and also the addition of the Min and Max Block Size directives.

So at this point my question is this: is there a smart way to identify the correct entries for my hardware? I’ve re-read the docs from quantum but clearly I’m still flailing. The trial-and-error approach wouldn’t be so bad if it didn’t take 11 hours to write 2.5tb, then a short while to begin the second tape, then begin the unfill portion of the test, then eventually fail. It’s basically a full calendar day with each config file guess iteration.

As an aside, gtar wrote to tape at almost exactly twice the speed that I’m seeing in the btape test. My disk arrays are showing 300+mb/s for random reads, so they’re not the bottleneck. Almost immediately after I get this multi-tape dump and restore working in bacula I’ll be needing to address the horrible speeds I’m seeing. I do notice a lot of  “shoe shining” while running btape fill, and nothing is being written to the spool directory (which is ssd) so maybe the real backups will be faster. We’ll see.

Thanks again,
Simon