Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Hardware Specs & Sizing for Bacula?

2016-02-19 14:12:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Hardware Specs & Sizing for Bacula?
From: "paul.hutchings" <paul.hutchings AT protonmail DOT com>
To: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 14:10:03 -0500
Alan thanks, I omitted that we have a Spectra LTO6 library which would be SAS attached to the server in question but I didn't mention it as my initial query was more about the hardware specs.

The rough plan would be D2D2T and we'd probably run one of our fileservers (linux) directly to a local directly attached small LTO6/7 library as it's not data where we need a long retention and it feels dumb to be running it over the network just to send it to tape to keep for a week.

The hardware we have happens to have an 800GB SSD in it by a lucky coincidence, which I thought could be used for the Postgres database (not used Bacula enough to know how big the database may grow) which I image would benefit from it immensely but I'm not clear what the "spool" is that you're referring to - a quick dig suggests it could be attribute spooling or a spool area for data that's going to tape?

Sounds like we're good on the hardware but if necessary throw in some RAM.

We're so new to Bacula that I'll be blunt and admit there's lots I simply haven't got my head around yet if we do go with it so apologies if some of this is dumb/obvious to most of you :)