Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Faster reading of Volumes from disk

2016-02-18 11:34:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Faster reading of Volumes from disk
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 11:31:43 -0500
On Feb 18, 2016, at 6:44 AM, Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com> wrote:

On 2/17/2016 6:07 PM, Dan Langille wrote:
On Feb 17, 2016, at 9:57 AM, Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com> wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:59:10 -0500, Dan Langille said:

As a test, I scp'd over all the volumes for one job and timed it:

real    167m15.956s
user    117m51.006s
sys     23m56.653s

FWIW, these copies were done while a ZFS scrub was underway, so if anything, the potential throughput is higher.

The job above, took nearly 11 hours.  Something is up.

I tried another test run, just now, but cancelled it after the first two Volumes were read; it was going at about the same rate as the full job mentioned above.

What might account for this vast difference?

You could try profiling it, e.g http://www.brendangregg.com/FlameGraphs/cpuflamegraphs.html#DTrace

This is a great idea.  Have you done this before?  I haven't and my first attempt seems to be interesting.

It didn't run very long, and thus I'm not sure how relevant the information is

Interesting, Dan. I wonder what it looks like for that same job with encryption turned off. If I am reading the graph correctly, it looks like AES encryption is more than doubling the CPU usage.

To be clear, this was TLS.  I just disabled TLS for bacula-sd and ran it again:

I don't know how representative these brief captures are.

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon