Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] chmod 770 (was Re: Bacula Release 7.4.0)

2016-02-08 09:17:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] chmod 770 (was Re: Bacula Release 7.4.0)
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Cejka Rudolf <cejkar AT fit.vutbr DOT cz>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 09:14:44 -0500
On Feb 8, 2016, at 8:02 AM, Cejka Rudolf <cejkar AT fit.vutbr DOT cz> wrote:

Dan Langille wrote (2016/02/06):
Please, why there is

installdirs:
     chmod 770 $(DESTDIR)$(sysconfdir)

in Makefile.in? I had sysconfdir set to /usr/local/etc in FreeBSD
and /etc in Linux, so everywhere I have put new bacula,
I accidentally cut off access to these system directories to
non-root services and programs. (Bug report 2205.)

Are you using the FreeBSD port?  It defaults to /usr/local/etc/bacula

Hi, no, I have my own cross-platform and cross-administrator installation
script, so I'm independent on server administrators, where bacula-client
has to be installed.

However, as I looked on FreeBSD port, which is heavily patched by the way,
if anybody changes ETCDIR, he could be in trouble too. And there is one
more problem - directory is owned to group bacula:

# cd /usr/ports/sysutils/bacula-client
# make ETCDIR=/usr/local/etc install
# ls -ld /usr/local/etc
drwxrwx---  12 root  bacula  1536  8 feb 13:48 /usr/local/etc/

I think that Bacula installation should either use $(sysconfdir)/bacula
instead of just $(sysconfdir), so sysconfdir could be really "sys-conf-dir"
like /etc or /usr/local/etc, and then chmod 770 $(DESTDIR)$(sysconfdir)/bacula
could not change system directory permissions, or chmod should be deleted
(but then I'm not sure about the source of group change - maybe it is the
other thing, which should be solved).

Cejka,

Please open a PR (https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/) and we will work on that.