Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] What to exclude?

2016-02-03 22:15:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What to exclude?
From: "Gary R. Schmidt" <grs AT mcleod-schmidt.id DOT au>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 14:13:01 +1100
On 4/02/2016 1:19 PM, Randy Katz wrote:
> Is this list complete? What about stuff in /usr/local  for example?
> And /var ?

By definition, /usr/local (or, more standards-like, opt/local) is yours,
no-one else knows what is in it, and whether it should be included.

Frex, I have squid installed in /opt/local on one machine, and for that
I could exlude /opt/local/squid/var, as there are only the squid cache,
log, and run directories there.

As for /var - you'll have to have a look at yours, as, again, some
important libraries and configuration files can end up there, as well as
cache files and logs.

There is no really complete list, as no two machines are identical
(except if they are in a cluster!!  ;-) ).

Now, having said all of that, with LTO-6 tapes and an 8-slot autoloader,
I just whack in the sensible top level mount points, exclude /tmp,
/proc, /opt/bacula, and any other obvious things to avoid, and wear the
minuscule overhead of storing logs and cache files and other dross.

        Cheers,
                Gary    B-)