Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] My plan to save disk space

2015-11-12 11:36:47
Subject: [Bacula-users] My plan to save disk space
From: Waqar Khan <waqar.khan AT hornbill DOT com>
To: "Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:34:26 +0000

Hi all,

I am looking for a way to save disk space on my Bacula server. My config for one of the clients is below. And the list of volumes.

Here is the list of volumes:

linux1dcFull-1181

linux1dcFull-1049

linux1dcDiff-1161

linux1dcFull-1096

linux1dcDiff-1064

linux1dcDiff-1116

linux1dcDiff-1122

linux1dcInc-1106

linux1dcInc-1108

linux1dcInc-1050

linux1dcInc-1550

linux1dcDiff-1140

linux1dcInc-1111

linux1dcInc-1055

linux1dcInc-1059

linux1dcInc-1071

linux1dcInc-1077

linux1dcInc-1082

linux1dcFull-1125

linux1dcInc-1085

linux1dcInc-1088

linux1dcInc-1091

linux1dcInc-1103

Am I right in thinking that the volumes I have highlighted above are not needed as there are either Diff between them or a Full.

Storage {

  Name = "bacula1:storage:"

  Address = bacula1

  Password = "password"

  Device = "linux1dcStorage"

  Media Type = File

  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10

}

FileSet {

  Name = "linux1dc"

  Include {

    Options {

       Signature   = "MD5"

       Compression = "GZIP9"

    }

  #MySQL database

  File = "/mnt/cloud-backup/linux1dc/"

  # Hornbill directory (CS+SW)

  File = "/home/cloud-backup/linux1dc/"

  }

  Exclude {

    File = "/mnt/cloud-backup/linux1dc/mysql/swdata/swsystag.*"

  }

}

Job {

  Name = "linux1dc-Backup"

  JobDefs = "CloudBackup"

  Type = Backup

  Client = bacula1

  Pool = linux1dcPool-Full

  FileSet = "linux1dc"

  Storage = "bacula1:storage:linux1dc"

  Full Backup Pool = linux1dcPool-Full

  Incremental Backup Pool = linux1dcPool-Inc

  Differential Backup Pool = linux1dcPool-Diff

    #External scripts definition

    RunScript {

      Command = "/root/scripts/mysql_backup_before.sh 3 linux1dc"

      RunsOnClient = No

      RunsWhen = Before

    }

    RunScript {

      Command = "/root/scripts/mysql_backup_after.sh 3 linux1dc"

      RunsOnClient = No

      RunsWhen = After

    }

  # Nagios integration

  Run After Job = "/root/scripts//bacula2nagios.sh \"%n\" 0 \"%e %l %v\""

  Run After Failed Job = "/root/scripts/bacula2nagios.sh \"%n\" 1 \"%e %l %v\""

}

# Allow one extra volume (file) per Pool

# monthly - full

# weekly  - diff

# daily   - inc

Pool {

  Name = "linux1dcPool-Full"

  LabelFormat = "linux1dcFull-"

  Pool Type = "Backup"

  Recycle = "yes"

  Autoprune = "yes"

  Volume Retention = 60 days

  Maximum Volumes = 5

  Maximum Volume Jobs = 1

}

Pool {

  Name = "linux1dcPool-Diff"

  LabelFormat = "linux1dcDiff-"

  Pool Type = "Backup"

  Recycle = "yes"

  Autoprune = "yes"

  Volume Retention = 40 days

  Maximum Volumes = 6

  Maximum Volume Jobs = 1

}

Pool {

  Name = "linux1dcPool-Inc"

  LabelFormat = "linux1dcInc-"

  Pool Type = "Backup"

  Recycle = "yes"

  Autoprune = "yes"

  Volume Retention = 8 days

  Maximum Volumes = 9

  Maximum Volume Jobs = 1

}

My plan is to write a shell script which looks in the database for volumes over my retention period i.e. 8 days for incremental and delete these volumes with bconsole delete volume, then remove them from disk.

Can anyone see a problem with this?

Regards

WaqarK

PGP: D1388321

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
The information contained in this email or any of its attachments is confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It may not be disclosed to, copied, distributed or used by anyone else without our express permission. If you receive this communication in error please advise the sender immediately and delete it from your systems. This email is not intended to and does not create legally binding commitments or obligations on behalf of Hornbill Service Management Limited which may only be created by hard copy writing signed by a director or other authorized officer. Any opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of Hornbill Service Management Limited are unauthorized and neither given nor endorsed by it. Although Anti-Virus measures are used by Hornbill Service Management Limited it is the responsibility of the addressee to scan this email and any attachments for computer viruses or other defects. Hornbill Service Management Limited does not accept any liability for any loss or damage of any nature, however caused, which may result directly or indirectly from this email or any file attached.

Hornbill Service Management Limited. Registered Office: Apollo, Odyssey Business Park, West End Road, Ruislip, HA4 6QD, United Kingdom. Registered in England Number: 3033585.