Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] macbook pro as a client

2015-09-15 09:00:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] macbook pro as a client
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>, Thing <thing.thing AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 09:01:34 -0400

On 9/14/2015 5:38 PM, Dan Langille wrote:
On Sep 14, 2015, at 5:26 PM, Thing <thing.thing AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

Looks like the sd might be waiting for the fd which is "sleeping" if top on the mac is any indication.

This is the second time in recent days I've seen that _expression_ used in conjunction with FD, Mac, and top. Perhaps you were on IRC.

OSX on MBP is, by default, very aggressive with power management. OSX always shuts down network PHYs when in "full sleep" state. Apple has a proprietary power state named "Power Nap" that allows remains awake enough to maintain a wifi connection.

System Preferences -> Energy Saver

In Energy Saver,on Power Adapter tab, slide "Computer sleep" slider to the right all the way to "Never"
Check "Put hard disks to sleep..."
Check "Wake for network access..."
Check "Enable Power Nap..."

Note that it isn't enough to check "Enable Power Nap". The "Computer sleep" slider must be slid to "Never". Also note that this is not possible when on battery.

Now the bad news. A MBP is not designed to run with the lid closed. Closing the lid interferes with proper heat dissipation should the CPU be running at full speed, so the MBP automatically goes to full sleep when the lid is closed. Supposedly, enabling "internet connection sharing" prevents this, though I have not tested it.

System Preferences -> Sharing

Check the "Internet sharing" box on the left
Select the interface to share on the right.

These Macs have been very frustrating to use with Bacula, mostly due to the aggressive power management. And now we will have to deal with the same thing with Windows 10, most likely. I really believe that Bacula is going to have to stop relying so heavily on the longevity of a  TCP connection. Particularly for wireless networks, device makers are increasingly choosing to ignore  TCP/IP standards in favor of power conservation.