Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple full backups in same month

2015-06-25 13:59:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple full backups in same month
From: Bryn Hughes <linux AT nashira DOT ca>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 10:57:54 -0700
On 2015-06-25 10:17 AM, Silver Salonen wrote:
On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 7:56 PM, Heitor Faria <heitor AT bacula.com DOT br> wrote:
Citando Thomas Lohman <thomasl AT mtl.mit DOT edu>:

The question now is: bacula decides if it will upgrade jobs when it
queues the jobs or when it starts the jobs? According to the logs
above I think it is when it starts.

To my mind it's upgraded when it's queued... I hope I'm wrong :)
Hi, it is done when the job is queued to run.  So, if you see it listed
under "Running jobs" in bconsole then it's already been decided.  Queued
to run isn't necessarily the same as when the job actually starts due to
other factors/settings.

Ok, so the option "Allow Duplicate Job=no" can at least prevent multiple full backups of the same server in a row as stated before?

*Allow Duplicate JobS.
I think you must use Cancel Running Duplicates = yes in order to cancel eventually duplicated jobs submited.

Please note that (according to my knowledge and experience some years back) even with this option the duplicate job will first be upgraded to Full, then marked as failed and upgraded again the next time a job is scheduled (which is buggy behavior to my mind and I reported it in http://bugs.bacula.org/view.php?id=1507).

This is the particular stanza I use in my JobDefs to deal with this situation:

  Allow Duplicate Jobs = no
  Cancel Lower Level Duplicates = yes
  Cancel Queued Duplicates = yes
  Reschedule On Error = yes
  Reschedule Interval = 1 hour
  Reschedule Times = 4

Bacula behaves the way I would want it to with these settings.  In the scenario described by the original poster the initial Full waiting in the queue would have caused all subsequent incremental jobs to be canceled, preventing them from being upgraded to Fulls as well.  Once the Full had completed successfully the next scheduled Incremental that came along AFTER the Full was done would be treated as a normal incremental.

The 'Reschedule On Error' is smart enough not to create new jobs, at least in my case.  I'm on 7.0.5 now but I was running 5.2.x previously with this config.

Bryn