Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backing up to S3

2015-06-10 16:48:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backing up to S3
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 16:45:12 -0400

On 6/10/2015 3:50 PM, Tim Dunphy wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
>  I was really excited when I upgraded my bacula server to CentOS 7 and
> installed the latest version of s3fs. Because I found that I was able
> to mount an s3 bucket to my local file system with the right user id
> and permissions to use with bacula.
>  My old server was a centos 5.9 host and that version of s3fs wouldn't
> allow you to set the uid/gid for the directory you're mounting to.
>
>  And what I've found is that backing up to S3 with these latest
> versions works GREAT!! I am able to create tapes on my S3 mounted
> backup directory. And the backups complete without any complaint from
> the bacula system.
>
> However the problem comes in restoring files. Because what I've found
> is that the restores will fail even if you are restoring just one tiny
> file. I tried restoring a resolv.conf file.
>
> What happens is that the s3fs directory disconnects from s3 and bacula
> gives a 'waiting for mount request' that seems to go on forever.
>
> If I do a listing of the directory at this point, on the command line
> outside the bacula environment I get a 'transport disconnected' error.
> I'm not sure why backing up to S3 is fine but restoring is not.
>
> What I'd like to know is if there are any other alternatives to S3FS
> out there that would allow you to mount an S3 bucket on your local
> file systems and use it for backups and restores.
>
> Also I'm wondering if there's any optimizations or changes that anyone
> may know about that I can do to S3FS to allow this to work?

Are you using directories created by some s3 tool? I believe s3fs still
does not have a directory structure and directories are handled
differently by implementations of different s3 tools. The lack of a true
directory structure likely cause this, and explain why ls also fails.
Try it with only writing volume files to the root of the s3 bucket and
only mounting the s3 root on the local filesystem.