Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula can't make use of multi drives

2015-02-18 13:49:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula can't make use of multi drives
From: "Kelley, Jared" <jkelley AT popcap DOT com>
To: "Clark, Patricia A." <clarkpa AT ornl DOT gov>, Süleyman Kuran <skuran AT ayk.gov DOT tr>, "Ana Emília M. Arruda" <emiliaarruda AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 18:28:40 +0000
Patricia,
I am ensuring device integrity by using the /dev/tape/by-path/* in my
configs for each device.

I have mounted the tapes as you suggested with perfect sync prior to
mounting using bconsole.
After the mount there are tapes out of sync comparing mtx and mtx-changer
command vs the mysql select query.
See mount commands below.

*mount
Automatically selected Storage: Autochanger
Enter autochanger drive[0]: 0
Enter autochanger slot: 18
3307 Issuing autochanger "unload slt 41, drive 0" command.
3304 Issuing autochanger "load slot 18, drive 0" command.
3305 Autochanger "load slot 18, drive 0", status is OK.
3001 Mounted Volume: AAAACD5F68
3001 Device ""Drive0"
(/dev/tape/by-path/ip-10.5.66.22:3260-iscsi-iqn.1997-05.com.amazon:sgw-20b8
5d49-taperive-01-lun-0-nst)" is already mounted with Volume "AAAACD5F68"

*mount
Automatically selected Storage: Autochanger
Enter autochanger drive[0]: 1
nter autochanger slot: 1
3304 Issuing autochanger "load slot 1, drive 1" command.
3305 Autochanger "load slot 1, drive 1", status is OK.
3001 Mounted Volume: AAAB0E63AB
3001 Device ""Drive1"
(/dev/tape/by-path/ip-10.5.66.22:3260-issi-iqn.1997-05.com.amazon:sgw-20b8
5d49-tapedrive-02-lun-0-nst)" i mounted with Volume "AAAB0E63AB"

*mount
Autoatically selected Storage: Autochanger
Enter autochanger drive[0]: 2
Enter autochanger slot: 22
3304 Issuing autochanger "load slot 22, drive 2" command.
3305 Autochanger "load slot 22, drive 2", status is OK.
3001 Mounted Volume: AAAC2D6888
3001 Device ""Drive2"
(/dev/tape/by-path/ip-10.5.66.22:3260-iscsi-iqn.1997-05.com.amazon:sgw-20b8
5d49-tapedrive-03-lun-0-nst)" i mounted with Volume "AAAC2D6888"

*mount
Automatically selected Storage: Autochanger
Enter autochanger drive[0]: 3
Enter autochnger slot: 26
3304 Issuing autochanger "load slot 26, drive 3" command.3305 Autochanger "load
slot 26, drive 3", status is OK.
3001 Mounted Volume: AAAB3B609E
001 Device ""Drive3"
(/dev/tape/by-path/ip-10.5.66.22:3260-iscsi-iq.1997-05.com.amazon:sgw-20b8
5d49-tapedrive-04-lun-0-nst)" is mounted with Volume "AAAB3B609E"

*mount
Automatically selectedStorage: Autochanger
Enter autochanger drive[0]: 4
Enter autochanger slot: 9
3304 Issuing autochanger "load slot 19, drive 4" command.
3305 Autochange "load slot 19, drive 4", status is OK.
3001 Mounted Volume: AAAC216884
3001 Device ""Drive4"
(/dev/tape/by-path/ip-10.5.66.22:3260-scsi-iqn.1997-05.com.amazon:sgw-20b8
5d49-tapedrive-05-lun-0-nst)" is monted with Volume "AAAC216884"

*mount
Automatically selected Storage: Autocanger
Enter autochanger drive[0]: 5
Enter autochanger slot: 7
3304Issuing autochanger "load slot 7, drive 5" command.
3305 Autochanger "lad slot 7, drive 5", status is OK.
3001 Mounted Volume: AAADB06915
3001 Dvice ""Drive5"
(/dev/tape/by-path/ip-10.5.66.22:3260-iscsi-iqn.1997-05.comamazon:sgw-20b8
5d49-tapedrive-06-lun-0-nst)" is already mounted wit Volume "AAADB06915"

mysql query shows what exactly what the mount commad was told to do.

mysql> Select VolumeName,Slot from bacula.Media wher slot like 1 or slot
like 7 or slot like 18 or slot like 19 or slot like 2 or slot like 26
order by slot;
+------------+------+
| VolumeName | Slot |+------------+------+
| AAAB0E63AB | 1 |     (drive 1)
| AAADB06915 | 7 |     (drive 5)
| AAAACDF68 | 18 |    (drive 0)
| AAAC216884 | 19 |    (drive 4)
| AAAC2D6888 | 2 |    (drive 2)
| AAAB3B609E | 26 |    (drive 3)
+------------+------+

Hwever, I now see what is happening. Based on what mtx-changer showsthe
slots are getting reordered numerically from lowest to highest,
1,,18,19,22,26
but the volumes are staying with the drive they were mounted in.  So it
would seem at this point that bacula i doing what it should be and the
slots are getting re-ordered in the process when a new slot is mounted.
It is always inserted numerically in order.

/etc/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer /dev/sg13 listall | head -10

D:0:F:1:AAAACD5F68
D:1:F:7:AAAB0E63AB
D:2:F:18:AAAC2D6888
D:3:F:19:AAAB3B609E
D:4:F:22:AAAC216884
D:5:F:26:AAADB06915

/etc/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer /dev/sg13 list | had -10

1:AAAACD5F68
7:AAAB0E63AB
18:AAAC2D6888
19:AAAB3B609E
22:AAAC216884
26:AAADB06915

Now when I mount slot 3 in drive 6.  Slot 3 will be put into drive 1,
moving all the rest of them up one drive.

*mount
Automatically selected Storage: Autochanger
6
Enter autochanger slot: 3
3304 Issuing autochanger "load slot 3, drive 6" command.
3305 Autochanger "load slot 3, drive 6", status is OK.
3001 Mounted Volume: AAAACE5F6B
3001 Device ""Drive6"
(/dev/tape/by-path/ip-10.5.66.22:3260-iscsi-iqn.1997-05.com.amazon:sgw-20b8
5d49-tapedrive-07-lun-0-nst)" is mounted with Volume "AAAACE5F6B"

/etc/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer /dev/sg13 listall | head -10

D:0:F:1:AAAACD5F68
D:1:F:3:AAAB0E63AB
D:2:F:7:AAAC2D6888
D:3:F:18:AAAB3B609E
D:4:F:19:AAAC216884
D:5:F:22:AAADB06915
D:6:F:26:AAAACE5F6B - most recent mount, volume stays sticky but slot is
moved to drive one to keep the slots in numerical order, i.e. 3 falls
between 1 and 7 so that’s where slot 3 gets set.

mtx status shows the same as mtx-changer

root@ops-prd-backup01:/home/jkelley# mtx -f /dev/sg13 status | head -11
  Storage Changer /dev/sg13:10 Drives, 3200 Slots ( 1600 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 1 Loaded):VolumeTag =
AAAACD5F68
Data Transfer Element 1:Full(Storage Element 3 Loaded):VolumeTag =
AAAB0E63AB
Data Transfer Element 2:Full (Storage Element 7 Loaded):VolumeTag =
AAAC2D6888
Data Transfer Element 3:Full (Storage Element 18 Loaded):VolumeTag =
AAAB3B609E
Data Transfer Element 4:Full (Storage Element 19 Loaded):VolumeTag =
AAAC216884
ata Transfer Element 5:Full (Storage Element 22 Loaded):VolumeTag =
AAADB06915
Data Transfer Element 6:Full (Storage Element 26 Loaded):VolumeTag =
AAAACE5F6B

So, this appears to be a bug with the mtx-changer script.
I haven’t poured through the script yet to determine exactly why it is
moving the slots around to satisfy numerical order.
If there are any updates o someone knows a quick fix it would be much
appreciated.

That’s all I have on this issue at the moment.

On 2/16/15, 7:37 AM, "Clark, Patricia A." <clarkpa AT ornl DOT gov> wrote:

> [...]
>com>>,
>Süleyman Kuran <[email protected]<mailto:skuran AT ayk.gov DOT tr>>, "\"Ana
>Emília M. Arruda\""
><emiliaarruda AT gmail DOT com<mailto:emiliaarruda AT gmail DOT com>>
>Cc:
>"Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
>net<mailto:[email protected].
>net>"
><bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
>net<mailto:[email protected].
>net>>
>Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula can't make use of multi drives
>
>bumping this thread because I have another issue I am unable to resolve.
>I am running:
>bacula 7.0.5 compiled from source
> 3 pools.
>Multiple jobs per pool.
>10 tape drives
>1 autochanger for those 10 drives.
>1600 slots
>
>running concurrent jobs works.
>I have 41 volumes(tapes)  in the virtual changer with 10 drives.
>Bacula is getting confused very quickly on which volume is in which slot
>when comparing whats in the bacula database,
>as shown by select query, compared to the output of mtx-changer —list all
>command. See below.
>So as these volumes get more and more out of sync my jobs get hung with
>waiting to mount volume which cascades to exceeding max jobs
>as the running jobs start to queue.   I’m wondering if this is a bug due
>to the number of slots.
>The fix is to release all 10 drives, run update slots.  But I am having
>to do this daily now.  Unacceptable.
>When I was setting this up I started ith only 10 virtual tapes or
>volumes and things ran smoothly.
>Now I have added a 31 more tapes to  prevent jobs from failing, if all
>the tapes in a pool become full, and the problem has been exacerbated by
>the increasing the number volumes.
>It seems bacula is unable to handle this many slots and as it moves a
>volume bck to the slot from whence it came to pull another for a
>different job
>and it puts the tape(volume) back into a different slot but gets confused
>and Slot in the database is now wrong for this particular volume.
>Does anyone have any experience with this?  And is there a possible
>configuration fix?
>My max concurrent jobs is 20 for SD and max concurrent jobs per tapedrive
> is 1.  This to eep jobs from interleaving data when they are writing
>concurrently.
>I will be happy to submit configuration files if that is helpful.
>Thanks
>
>Volumes in red are the volumes bacula is now out of sync with.  Every one
>of these volumes is currently in a tape-drive.  I have edited the output
>below for simplicity in comparing mtx-changer command vs mysql select
>query.
>

>Select VolumeName,Slot from Media order by slot;        slot    out put
AAADB36916      36      AAADB36916