Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula splitting big jobs in to two

2015-02-02 09:28:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula splitting big jobs in to two
From: "Rao, Uthra R. (GSFC-672.0)[ADNET SYSTEMS INC]" <uthra.r.rao AT nasa DOT gov>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 14:23:18 +0000
Andy,

I have to backup about 70TB in one job.

Uthra

-----Original Message-----
From: akent04 [mailto:bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com]
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2015 9:50 AM
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net

I run bacula 5.2.12 on a RHEL server which is attached to a Tape Library. I
have two LTO5 tape drives. Since the data on one of my server has grown big the
back-up takes 10-12 days to complete. I would like to split this job in to two
jobs. Has anybody done this kind of a set-up? I need some guidance on how to go
about it."

"Mr. Uthra: at a glance I think the only way to do that is having to Job
configurations for the same Client, with two FileSet configurations for them
respectively.
This is very manual, since you will have to "load balance" the different backup
paths for each FileSet by yourself.
Just in time: unless there is a huge amount of information on this server it's
not normal for a Backup Job take 12 days to complete, and maybe there is some
bottlenecks in your structure / configuration. "

Regards,
==============================================================================Heitor
 Medrado de Faria - LPIC-III | ITIL-F Jan. 26 - Fev. 06 - Novo Treinamento
Telepresencial Bacula: http://www.bacula.com.br/?p=2174
61  (tel:%2B55%2061%202021-8260)8268-4220 (tel:%2B55%2061%208268-4220)
Site: heitorfaria < at > gmail.com (heitorfaria < at > gmail.com)

I would have to echo the above post in regards to bottlenecks. How much data
are you backing up?
I'm able to back up almost 500GB(over a million files) in around 4-5 hours and
that is to an RDX cartridge in a Tandberg Quikstation. Twice that (around 1TB)
would probably only take about 8-10 hours, less than a day. If you have only
around 1-4TB of data you're backing up 10-12 days is abnormal for that when
dealing with some type of local hardware(not over Internet or VPN), and I'd
look into why it's taking so long instead of trying to work around it.

-Andy