Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] spool disk filesystem, checksums

2014-12-06 11:14:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] spool disk filesystem, checksums
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Daniel Pocock <daniel AT pocock DOT pro>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 17:08:19 +0100
Hello,

On 05/12/14 19:20, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> On 12/05/2014 07:48 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>
>> The purpose of such a checksum wouldn't be to prove that the
>> tapes are correct, it would simply be to catch any failure of the
>> spool disk at the earliest opportunity
>
> Monitoring your hardware is not bacula's job. Appropriate tools for
> this particular job include smartctl, fsck, and checksumming
> filesystems.

Quite a number of applications keep checksums within their own file
formats.  gzip is one of them, while tar is not.  A tgz file is
therefore more secure than a tar file alone.

The same Bacula! Compare apples to apples and pears to pears!
Bacula HAS a block level checksum in the archive volume format like gzip. It does not have a temporary files checksumming like any other application (I suppose, I did not check all other).

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net