Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] current recommendations for SSD spool disk with LTO/Ultrium?

2014-12-03 11:14:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] current recommendations for SSD spool disk with LTO/Ultrium?
From: Phil Stracchino <phils AT caerllewys DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 11:11:34 -0500
On 12/03/14 10:46, Dmitri Maziuk wrote:
> On 12/3/2014 8:23 AM, Josh Fisher wrote:
>> ... The maximum write speed of LTO-6 is 400
>> MB/s, but what is the average write speed after writing many blocks for
>> a whole job? A single Lyndonville drive may suffice, or a RAID array of
>> SAS drives.
>
> Probably not so important in this case, but consider write wear on the
> SSD, too: they don't last quite so long under intensive write loads.

If you're using any kind of modern SSD device, this is really no longer
much of an issue.  Between write leveling software, new architectures
such as Samsung's 3D VNAND, and general improvements, it's really
unlikely that you can actually exceed the write life of a decent-size
SSD device in any realistic period of time.  I am advised Samsung has a
250GB 950 Pro SSD in their test labs to which they have written over 8
petabytes of data (yes, I said PETAbytes) and it is still going strong.
 Several independent test labs have test SSDs to which they have been
continually writing data at the maximum transfer rate of the device for
over a year without experiencing a failure.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications