Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] current recommendations for SSD spool disk with LTO/Ultrium?

2014-12-03 10:49:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] current recommendations for SSD spool disk with LTO/Ultrium?
From: Dmitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 09:46:51 -0600
On 12/3/2014 8:23 AM, Josh Fisher wrote:
> On 12/3/2014 8:12 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> Can anybody make any practical comments on how to choose a suitable
>> spool disk (both speed, size and whether to make an array of disks for
>> spooling)?

> ... The maximum write speed of LTO-6 is 400
> MB/s, but what is the average write speed after writing many blocks for
> a whole job? A single Lyndonville drive may suffice, or a RAID array of
> SAS drives.

Probably not so important in this case, but consider write wear on the
SSD, too: they don't last quite so long under intensive write loads.

I sincerely doubt a tape drive can keep up with despooling off a 10Gb/s
SAS drive, or even a 6Gb/s SATA one. (Should be a fair assessment as
those numbers are as realistic as LTO-6's 400MB/s.)

Dima