Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [7.0.5] Option to start spooling before volume mount?

2014-10-27 10:47:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [7.0.5] Option to start spooling before volume mount?
From: Bryn Hughes <linux AT nashira DOT ca>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:44:35 -0700
On 14-10-26 09:28 AM, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
>   Bezüglich John Lockard's Nachricht vom 26.10.2014 15:34 (localtime):
>> I run into this issue with several of my servers and dealt with it by
>> creating "migrate" jobs.  First job goes to disk.  Second job runs
>> some reasonable time later and migrates the D2D job to tape.  I had a
>> number of key servers I did this for with the advantage that I could
>> offsite the tapes and keep the D2D job on disk till after the next
>> backup had run.  This way I had immediate recovery available as well
>> as disaster recovery.
> Well, this indeed is a good workarround. Im already using job migration,
> but for other tasks (regular file-backups).
> In that special case, the data to archive onto LTO is already
> backup-data (iSCSI exported WindowsBackupDrives). But of course I could
> do another intermediate-backup. Will do that I guess. As long as I'm not
> occupying too much space from my spool device (2TB only), since my
> backup-pool is pretty well filled and I don't like backing up the same
> data twice on the same spindle-pool…
If you've already got the data on disk from another backup, you can use
a 'COPY' job instead of a 'MIGRATE' job.  That will give you a copy on
tape while still preserving the copy on disk as the 'primary' copy
should you need to do a restore, without needing to run another backup
job separately.

Bryn