Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tape longevity formerly (Forcing baccula to purge/recycle a tape instead of appending?!)

2014-10-16 13:39:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tape longevity formerly (Forcing baccula to purge/recycle a tape instead of appending?!)
From: "Clark, Patricia A." <clarkpa AT ornl DOT gov>
To: Dmitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 17:33:17 +0000
Hijacking a thread is not acceptable - new thread on tape longevity statement.

Your assertion on longevity of tape is incorrect and I have a link for one
manufacturer that has their metrics across time and writes.
http://support2.imation.com/downloads/imn/LTO/Usage_Life_Imation_Media.pdf

There are others out there for the various manufacturers and formats.

Other than SSD technology, disks have a hard time keeping up with the speed of
modern tape drives.  Price point, tape is less expensive.

I have lost data on failed disk drives.  I have not yet lost data on a backup
tape.  What evidence do you have to support  disk over tape for backups?

Patti Clark
Linux System Administrator
R&D Systems Support Oak Ridge National Laboratory