Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] New user with Bacula

2014-07-30 11:56:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] New user with Bacula
From: dweimer <dweimer AT dweimer DOT net>
To: Dmitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 12:11:52 -0500
On 07/30/2014 9:42 am, Dmitri Maziuk wrote:
> On 7/30/2014 7:56 AM, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:
>
>> Could you explain what "NetApp Client" is/will be/could be, please.
>> What
>> do you mean by "NetApp Client". I'd like to understand this thread,
>> but
>> I'm not an english native speaker so I miss the main point of this
>> thread.
>
> It's not your English, it's NetApp. ;)
>
> Netapp is a completely closed proprietary system with its own
> everything: from disk firmware to os. It's "appliance-type" filer and
> the os is incompatible with everything including its own major
> releases.
>
> Their main selling point is working at the level of disk blocks, which
> makes for very efficient use of storage space, snapshots, replication,
> etc.
>
> On second thought, their shiny! deduplicated block-level storage would
> probably not transfer to tape very well anyway, so there wouldn't be
> much advantage to creating a native netapp client.
>
> Dima

Your probably right about it not transferring to tape very well, though
making a client run on it might not be that difficult assuming that the
content on this page
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_products_based_on_FreeBSD> is
correct and it truly is based on FreeBSD.  Of course having data that
can be restored after a backup and actually used after that is going to
be a whole entirely new challenge, as backing up any type of data with
de-duplication has already proven to be problematic.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer